Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcake Google Event


I had big plans for the first recipe of this blog - honey lavender goat cheese chocolate blackberry cupcake tart fancy something or other.  That's not how it went down today.

The Weekend.  Yesterday, the house was being cleaned.  I took Ayla for a walk around the park with a friend, went to lunch, then took another walk in the woods with another friend.  I felt good in my body until the end of the second walk, when my body became super unhappy with my choices for lunch.  I spent the rest of the day watching netflix in my jammies.  Hubby was away until late last night.  Maybe I just underestimated how much down time I really needed.  I am so glad the house got cleaned though!  I recently admitted that I am not capable of cleaning myself anymore.  A few people were recommended and I ended up going with my friend's nanny.  She's been doing a great job.  Not sure how often I can afford it, but now all the deep spring cleaning has been done (even my gross microwave).

Sundays are tough sometimes.  I often get headaches or generally feel crappy from overdoing it during the week and Saturday.  Today I stayed in bed until 1pm which was a good way to avoid feeling crappy.  It's almost 5pm now and I still haven't showered or gotten dressed.  We have made Sundays a lot more fun these days by playing cards with our friends, Rob and Sue.  Sunday we head over to their house around 6 or 7 and play cards until 9 or so.  It's really changed my outlook on Sundays.  We laugh a whole lot, snack, and enjoy each other's company.

So, while I was lounging with my sweetie dog, Ayla, I googled "chocolate cream cheese cupcakes" and was led to a cupcake from childhood.  Do you remember these cupcakes with the black bottom and cream cheese middle?  With and without chocolate chips?  Yeah, me too.  I haven't seen these anywhere lately so I'm assuming they are out of style, but they are fresh in my memories.

These are so easy I couldn't resist.  They are so simple it will take less than 10 minutes to get them in the oven.  I suppose you will all have to wait for honey lavender.

I combined a few recipes here from the Joy of Baking website and All Recipes.

Cream Cheese Middle:
1 package cream cheese (room temperature)
1 egg
1/3 C sugar
Vanilla
Lemon zest
Mix in a mixer for a few minutes to combine.

Chocolate Cake Part
1 and 1/2 C flour
3/4 C sugar (I use organic cane)
1/3 C cocoa powder
Vanilla
1 t baking soda
1 C buttermilk
2-3 T water (to get the right consistency)
1/3 C vegetable oil
Chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet normal size)

Sift dry together, then add buttermilk and oil.  Add water until it's batter consistency.

Put chocolate cake mix in cupcake paper lined muffin tin - fill to 1/2 to 3/4 way up.  Dollop the cream cheese mixture on top.  Sprinkle top with chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until the cheese part is set and the cake comes out clean with a toothpick or knife.



2 comments:

  1. I need to emphasize the the cream cheese MUST be room temperature or these will not work at all.

    ReplyDelete